11 October 2011

October 11th

Scream of the Banshee (2011) directed by Steven C. Miller
Fade in: "SyFy Presents."  "Dammit, this is gonna suck," I thought to myself.  I wasn't wrong.  I'm not sure what it is about these Siffy movies that stink so badly.  I think it's just a general "not giving too much of a shit" by most everyone that works on the movie.  Well, I take that back.  I think the crew is probably performing their job professionally.  Shots are in focus, the lighting seems to be fine and I didn't read about anyone getting accidentally electrocuted by improperly secure cables on the set.  Those responsible for the artistic side of things on these movies, I can't speak as highly of.  I'm almost certain these Siffy scripts are written using a computer connected to TV Tropes, which probably automatically assembles scripts cynically designed to attract less discerning audiences by using well-worn plot devices and stock characters.  This wouldn't be so bad, I suppose, if the movie wasn't further constrained by the puritan limits of U.S. television.  What you end up with is a film in which horrible actors spout crappy dialogue whilst being chased by a ridiculous looking banshee-monster for 90 minutes. (4/10)

No comments:

Post a Comment